Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Art Deco - Pendant & Necklace



This should have been my challenge piece for the EBW August challenge "Art Deco". I had it finished on time but decided not to list it as I am going to keep this one.

My mothers sister, my Aunt Jean, passed away a year ago July. She loved jewelry and I looked through her things and took a few pieces. This pendant originally was a pin and there is another very much like it, square and in purple shades, I have that one too. I thought it very much represented Art Deco in its design.

I removed the pin from the back to make the pendant. I then used seed beads to bead a few rows around the focal. I decided on a spiral rope in size 11 and 8 seed beads to attach to the pendant. I wanted to be careful with the colors that it didn't come off as Halloweenish. I also didn't want to add any fringe or too much decoration to the pendant - I want it to be the focal and stand on its own.

I am very happy with this piece and it accomplished 2 things - I have a great memory of my aunt that I can and will wear (I would never wear this as a pin) and I recycled - which I love to do in my jewelry.

10 comments:

Melody said...

I love it! It's wonderful how you designed the necklace- the focal looks perfect with it. What a wonderful memory of your aunt.

Regal Beads said...

this is beautiful!!

triz said...

this is wonderful!!!! I would keep it too!!! I'm a sucker for family eirlooms!!! I think your Aunt would be very pleased with the result!!! gorgeous!!!! :-)

Marlaine said...

This really is a beautiful piece. I can't blame you for wanting to keep it both for sentimental reasons but also because it's so lovely!

Beaderjojo said...

You're right, it IS very art deco. I can see why you would want to keep it though!
Your beadwork is beautiful!

thebeadedlily said...

Don't blame you for keeping this one! It's stunning!

triz said...

I tagged you for some technorati link love, please feel free to participate or ignore, whatever feels right to you :-)

No Easy Beads said...

Jean what beautiful keepsake and reminder of your Aunt. Excellent color and technique choices.

Lost Aussie said...

Jean, I love this piece, the composition and colours are extraordinary!
oxo
Marie

Staci ~ Pink Pooch Designs said...

It's gorgeous, I would have kept it also!