Sunday, September 14, 2008

OCAG Craft Show

I did a craft show yesterday and I was just hoping to get back the fee for my space and maybe make a little extra but considering the economy and the small amount of people that showed up I did very good.

I think it is a good idea to get out there and do a show or two just to observe people looking at your jewelry. Since I usually sell on Etsy I don't get to interact with customers. It is so interesting to see what people gravitate to - even people that don't buy but just look or try on things. What colors, what design, bracelets or necklaces. I learned so much today - even with the pieces that sold.

The pieces that you love or think are the better ones are seldom what people even look at - and it has nothing to do with the price. I think color is a big draw. I like large scale jewelry but a lot of the bracelets I sold today were older linked pieces that I made 2 years ago - not bead woven. I also sold 3 freeform peyote bracelets in fall colors. People were intrigued by beadweaving and bead embroidery - there were a lot of jewelry vendors at the sale but none with beadweaving - people all remarked how different my jewelry was.

I tend to make bracelets in a size that fits me - I have a 6 1/4 inch wrist - three older women came along and could not fit one bracelet I had around their wrists. They loved my work but said I need to make some bigger bracelets. I think this is an important fact - they said 7 or 7 1/2 inch or even bigger - that size would fall right off me but for them would have been perfect. On the other hand, I had a woman come along and was thrilled because all my bracelets fit her just right - she bought 3 - I told her she must have the same wrist size as I do. She was so happy because like me when she wants to buy a bracelet it is always too big for her.

Today was a real eye opener for me - I have done craft shows before but they were very busy and I didn't have the time to sit and observe. Sooooo - I need to make bigger bracelets, make more free form bracelets and do more craft shows - sounds like a plan!

6 comments:

Melody said...

Wow, it sounds like you learned a LOT at the show. Thank you very much for sharing, it's certainly information that I will take to heart. I make bracelets to fit me, too. And clearly there's a market for larger sizes!

Chryssi said...

Congratulations on doing well at the show and getting to see how people are looking at your jewelry. I signed up for a Google Reader. Now I have easy access to all the blogs I read in one place and I can keep up with the new jewelry you are making. YAY!

Marlaine said...

Congrats on a successful show! I know what you are talking about with sizes. I have a 6 1/4" wrist too and tend to make bracelets my size. I've had to make a real effort to make them bigger!

Kerrie Slade said...

Oooh new look blog Jean?

Congrats on the success of the show. I don't make too many bracelets now because I had the same issues as you when I used to do shows. I also make a lot of chokers and they can be difficult to size too, so I tend just to have one to show and make them as custom orders as people's sizes vary so much.

:0)

Regal Beads said...

you deff made me want to try a show sometime

Adam said...

The Orange County Artists Guild is a non-profit organization of artists supporting each other in their professional
development, as well as fostering public knowledge and appreciation of the work of Orange County artists. The Guild iscomposed of professional artists and artisans with considerable experience in their fields. The Guild does not restrictartist members as to art or craft media, content or style of work.
---------------------

Adam

Internet marketing