Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Family Jewels


I have had this bracelet for as long as I can remember. It was my mothers and she will be 92 this year so it is very old. I have no idea what it is made of or where she got it. There is writing on the back of one of the images but worn away so it is unreadable. I have always loved this bracelet and that is part of the reason I am taking that metalsmithing class at BeadFest in August. I thought the samples from that class kind of resemble this old bracelet and I am anxious to learn some new techniques. I love old jewelry and plan on visiting some antique shops and auctions this summer when I am living in PA again. Old jewelry is fun to recycle into my own designs but I would never part with this bracelet. It is very tarnished but I am not sure I would want to do anything to make it shiny - it looks old and it is.

4 comments:

Kokopelli said...

This a beautiful piece. Looks like Inca images, with the lama and the figurines. But no matter what it's beautiful and the tarnish adds a lot to this piece. I love old jewelry.

Sommopfle said...

I have an old bracelet that looks to be created by the same artist. It's my wifes grandmother's and quite old as is yours, I was wondering if you ever found out the author or how much it might be worth? I can sen you a picture of the bracelet that I have.

Jean Hutter said...

I never found any information on the bracelet - well I never really looked - maybe I will sometime. I do love this bracelet.

Jean Hutter said...

I never found any information on the bracelet - well I never really looked - maybe I will sometime. I do love this bracelet.