Thursday, March 04, 2010

New Cuff Started


And the cuff fever continues. This is number 5. The focal is a large Kambaba Jasper as are the 2 smaller stones. They are black with a lot of very cool moss green markings - really interesting. I am making this one pretty dark - lots of olive and darker green matte and metalic beads. The lightest I am going in this on is the lime colored accents. This is what I am learning about values - I do not want to go very light in this cuff - like say a cream color accent as I feel it would be spotty and take away from the focal. The only contrast is a very muted orange size 8 that I am using sparingly. So far I like this one - I will do some more work on it later today - it is 1 1/2 inches wide. I think I have a name but want to wait a bit before I committ to it.

About kambaba jasper: Some spiritualists believe that kambaba jasper can soothe nerves and ease the wearer's mental state. It is believed by some to bring balance and relaxation, and like all jaspers, it is a stone of protection and grounding. Some even think that kambaba jasper can aid with plant growth, specifically in dry envronments with poor soil quality. Physically, some believe kambaba jasper can aid with healing after an illness, help the body absorb viatamins and minerals while expelling toxins, and aid with stabilizing one's diet.

3 comments:

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Oh Boy! Another cuff in the works. They are so inspiring! Thank you!

Alice Howe said...

I often use Lacy's Stiff Stuff for bead embroidery, but the white shows through a bit. What do you use?
I'm alwyas excited to see your work for inspriation. It helps to see that you secure your focal and large beads and then bead around them. I tend to fill a specific area and then move on. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jean Hutter said...

Alice I use lacy's too but I color it with acrylic paint. Very wet, thin paint the color of the cuff - pink, turquoise, etc. I hate to see white peeking through. It doesn't change the lacy's at all and works great.