Monday, October 18, 2010

Bead Embroidery Information

I get a lot of questions about bead embroidery and I am no expert. I started bead embroidery about a year ago but I do love it. I like the freedom of never knowing where a piece might take me or even where that next bead is going to go in the design. You can of course plan out your designs and have more control, but I like the abstract nature of just going with the flow. I have always admired the great bead weavers Sherry Serafini and Heidi Hummli and their book Bead Art Embroidery Techniques is invaluable. I bought this book and just looked at it for some time never trying to actually do any bead embroidery. One day a bead friend Carol Dean Sharpe from Sand Fibers post this video by Sherry Serafini on FB and I just had to get started. So far I have made about 8 cuffs and 2 collars and am half way thru a third collar. I understand Sherry Serafini has a new book coming out next year - I can't wait.

So what are you waiting for - give bead embroidery a try. Maybe start with earrings and then move up to a cuff. Here are some other great bead Embroidery Artists:

Patrizia Tager Triz - Good Quill Hunting - Sedona Skye - Hanna Rachel

6 comments:

Triz Designs said...

I love that cuff!!! it's gorgeous!!! and i agree with you, I love the freedom of beadembroidery, I feel like i'm painting with beads :-)
and thank you so much for the mention!!!

Abracadebra Designs said...

I just completed my 1st two bead embroidered pendants. Both very simple, but I also had the Serafini/Kummli book for a long time before I actually got off of my butt and tried it. I have a feeling it will become very addicting and I will move on to bigger and better. Your bead embroidery is lovely as is the works of the bead weavers you mentioned. -Debbie

shibori girl said...

Your cuffs are so beautiful. You look like an expert to me. :)

Kate

Engagement rings Louisiana said...

It was wonderful to see your fantastic piece here. I'm also a jewelry maker, now a days i'm started handmade jewelries,but i don't know from where we can start, so i get inspired from your post and i will try this book Bead Art Embroidery Techniques. So i can also make such beautiful piece of jewelry like you.

premiumembroidery said...

Good beads work..lovely work really....good color combination i like the post..its so graceful and natural............

Kokopelli said...

I only tried Native American style bead embroidery, but then stumbled upon the book of Heidi and Sherri. But even with my experience I thought I could never make pieces looking like that. But I started and am practicing and it works. It was definitely worth a try and increased my skills!