Saturday, February 23, 2013

Freeform Peyote Choose Your Own Adventure Reveal

 
Karen Williams and Mandi Ainsworth came up with the idea for a challenge - create a freeform peyote piece and share it for all the world to see. Today is the big reveal and I couldn't be more excited.  I can't wait to see what everyone created.  They also started a Facebook Group as well with lots of great people and wonderful ideas and tips on freeform beading. This was a fun challenge for me because although I have beaded freeform pieces before I haven't tackled one in a long time.  It got me thinking about colors and shape again. So here it is my freeform bracelet called A Taste of Honey.




I  usually do my freeform vertically rather than horizontal (I have done a few horizontal) but I am more comfortable in this format.  I get a much more fluid piece this way. I chose a very warm pallet of soft violet, soft oranges, pinks, bronze and golds.  For the focal I chose a small jasper that I bought at a shop in Pennsylvania.  It had a very warm color that went well with the seed beads.  I am happy with the results but for my next adventure I think I will try the horizontal format 



I can't wait to go have a look at what everyone has created. Here is the Adventurer Roster:    

Mandi Ainsworth - Adventure Guide
Karen Williams - Adventure Guide 

24 comments:

Christine Altmiller said...

Taste of Honey...perfect name! It is warm and rich and comforting to look at (probably feels nice on the wrist too!) and reminds me of the buckwheat honey I am partial to. Gorgeous bracelet!

Mandi said...

Jean, I love all of your vertically woven pieces! The colors you chose to match the jasper are spot on. Gorgeous! Love the name, too.

AntiquityTravelers said...

Wow what flow to your piece! I love the colors and the name is perfect!

Saturday Sequins said...

Jean, fabulous work!

I like that you worked horizontally instead of vertically. I've wanted to try that, but it intimidates me -- you make it look effortless!

ThreeRedBeads said...

I love the colors you chose and the name fits perfectly. Very nice!

Inner Muse Jewelry Design said...

Ahhh...the colors you chose are so warm and earthy, they made me feel at ease the minute I laid eyes on bracelet! I love the motion in this design too! You did a fantastic job!~!

Karen Williams said...

Your colors are as warm and rich as honey! Makes me want to pick it up and put it on.

Thanks so much for participating in this hop and in the Facebook page! :)

Dancing Wire and Beads by Lori said...

I love your bracelet and the name, it's perfect, I can see the honey dripping from it :) I have only done horizontal but now I must try vertical; I love the look of it!

Marj said...

Love how your bracelet flows, the warmth oozes out

SaraBeth said...

I love the warm, rich colors of your bracelet. And I agree with some of the other comments, "A Taste of Honey" suits it perfectly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you create next.

Bobbie said...

It's a lovely color palette, and a really luscious bracelet. Wasn't this a great reminder of how fun freeform can be?

NEDbeads said...

It's just beautiful, Jean!! I love your palette, and your vertical work always makes me jealous - I can't seem to get the hang of it!! :)

Kepi said...

Gorgeous bracelet, love the flow of the colors.

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

I like the rippling effect and drips of honey coming off the side. I can't seem to achieve that look myself so appreciate it in other's work. Gorgeous colors and focal bead.

Spirala said...

Lovely colors and structure, I have never used vertical freeform, need to try it.

Shirley Moore said...

That ripple look you got is awesome! Thanks for sharing about it, I didn't realize it would look so different going vertical rather than horizontal. You did well on the name, all those colors remind me of my favorite flavors of honey!

Natasha said...

So beautiful!!!
I love the effect that vertical freeform creates!
Very cool!

Melody Marie Murray said...

This is great! I love your style.

Jane's Jewels said...

A very nice piece. Love the olours, and love that you work vertically. Makes it a little different, and I would imagine a little easier to alter the length as you go along perhaps?

maryharding said...

Gorgeous piece. So interesting to see the difference between verital and horizontal structure. I love the organic wavy flow to your piece and the colors are so yummy.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Jean,
I love your Taste of Honey freeform bracelet. I have not tried vertical yet, but I am thinking the next piece I do will be vertical. Beautiful!
Therese

AutEv said...

You created a really beautiful piece! I love the warmth of the colors and the wavy texture of the beadwork. It reminds me of a warm autumn day in the woods! Wonderful work!

Lorelle said...

I love the colour blend and the openness of it

Leanne Kirsch said...


love the focal bead and how you beaded around it. love the colors. Interesting the different look using vertical approach.